Check your passport
Check that your passport is valid for the whole journey. For most countries outside the Schengen passport shall be valid at least 6 months after the scheduled return. Also remember that it is only valid as long as it is free from damage.
When traveling to the United States, you must have a machine-readable passport. A machine-readable passport has two machine-readable lines at the bottom of the passport identification page.
Check your Visa/Entry Permit
Remember that you must apply for an entry permit via ESTA before departure if you are going to the United States. The ESTA application must be submitted electronically and in good time before departure – no later than 72 hours before. Each application costs 14 USD. You pay by credit card as soon as the application has been completed and submitted.
Check your Travel Insurance
Having a good travel insurance is very important and can actually save your private finances if an accident should happen. On holiday abroad, unfortunately unforeseen things can happen. If you are really unlucky, you may need a doctor or a hospital stay.
Check your Riding Gear
The most important gear is a helmet (preferably open type). It is possible to rent a helmet, but we recommend you either bring your own or buy a new helmet when you arrive. In addition, we recommend a good riding jacket (preferably mesh), MC shoes/boots, MC gloves, MC pants (preferably kevlar), and sunglasses.
Check your Travel Gear
Remember sunscreen, toiletries, necessary medicine, light rainwear, camera, phone w/charger, shorts, t-shirts, swimwear, light shoes/sneakers, a small backpack for day trips, and clothes for eating out in the evening.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
How about Riding gear and Communication Systems
- Please bring your own riding gear with you; jacket, trousers, boots, gloves, rain gear.
- If you require communication systems (Intercom) please bring it or purchase one locally.
How about Helmets and that pesky insurance?
JoyRides provides standard half shell helmets at no charge. If you require a newer helmet, ¾ helmet, or full face helmet, please arrange to purchase one locally or bring it with you (pre-order is possible).
Note: Please note that insurance requires that you wear a helmet for all riding during the whole tour.
How about cold weather gear?
- Weather Jacket – we recommend a “layering’ system”; base layer shirt, wind jacket & cold weather jacket
- Wool or Capilene (synthetic) thermal underwear – we highly recommend the “layering system”
- Cold weather – wind proof / waterproof pants, riding boots, socks, and gloves
How about wet weather gear?
- Waterproof jackets, pants, gloves, and boots or a full rain suit.
How about warm weather gear?
- We recommend a wool or Capilene (synthetic) “layering system” that allows you to add/remove garments
- We recommend long-sleve white t-shirts and some type of face covering (i.e. bandana) for desert crossings.
- Swim trunks, shower sandals, long sleeve and short sleeve shirts, warm weather shorts
What should I use daily?
- Personal Hygiene articles (toothbrush/toothpaste, comb/hairbrush, razor, tweezers, deodorant)
- Ear plugs, Sunglasses/Eye Protection, Sunscreen (recommend 35SPF or greater)
- Eye protection/clear glasses for evening riding or cloudy days
- Wool or Capilene socks, underwear, gloves
- Neck scarf for protection from neck sunburn (recommend silk or wool for cold weather, cotton for hot)
How about RX Medications?
- Daily prescriptions Note: Please advise Tour Leader and your emergency contacts of any precautions or medical conditions before and during the ride.
- Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, eye drops, allergy medication
How about emergency information?
Please advise Tour Leader and your emergency contacts of any special emergency steps or protocols before and during the ride if necessary. Please fill out the Emergency contact form & give to tour leader.
How about communication gear & credit cards?
- Bring your Phone and/or Laptop/USB Drive
- Bring your camera with extra batteries, International charger (120volts) and storage cards
- Bring 2 Credit Cards